Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Family

Most of my immediate family is here to visit. It is noisy, chaotic, ovens just generally crazy - but I think it makes this house feel more like a home.

I struggle with being so far from my family. Though I long ago accepted the fact that the Bay are offers career opportunities I can't get anywhere else, I do sometimes look at Max and wonder how it would change who he is if he were surrounded by this much love and attention regularly instead of just a few times a year.

There is no way to answer that definitively. Thanks to modern technology he is able to
connect with everyone in some way. I guess that is a good thing. But small things he doesn't get - we don't get. Nights at Grandma's house, babysitting by the aunt or uncles, holidays with family.

I think about it a lot. The trade-offs we make to find a better life. Sometimes I feel guilty. Sometimes empowered. It is all over the board.

I guess all that's important is having people who love you regardless of
Distance. Right? Reassure me
Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment